Community Advisory Alert - January 1, 2023
Dear Bradley Campus Community:
A crime has recently occurred in the Bradley University campus area and we want you to be informed so you can take appropriate precautions. Alerts, such as this, are issued for incidents that have already occurred but do not require immediate action by recipients.
On Sunday, January 1 2023, at approximately 11:41 p.m., Bradley University Police and Peoria Police responded to a report of shots fired near the 1000 block of W. Main Street. This is approximately two blocks east of N. University Street.
No injuries have been reported. No additional evidence was located to indicate shots were fired. No suspect information is available. There is no imminent threat to campus.
An investigation is continuing.
If you witnessed this incident or have any information, please call Bradley police at 309-677-2000 or Peoria police at 309-673-4521.
Do Your Part to Stay Safe
The Bradley University Police Department is a fully sworn police department with officers who work to keep the Bradley community safe 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 day a year. The BUPD patrols the campus as well as a significant area off campus. It works closely with other local law enforcement agencies, but safety also requires you to take action. A safe campus can be achieved only with the cooperation of the entire university community—students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Please remember:
- Report suspicious people immediately to the Bradley University Police Department by calling 309-677-2000 or using one of the emergency blue light phones on and around campus.
- During the hours of 5 p.m. and 3 a.m., utilize the Safety Cruiser program by using the Cruiser App or calling 309-677-2800.
- Use the Student Patrol or Bradley University Police Department escort programs by calling 309-677-2000.
- Do not leave your property, vehicles, homes or residence hall rooms unsecured.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Walk in pairs or groups, especially during the evening and night.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys or parking lots.
- Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.). Avoid or keep a distance from these areas when possible.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to the Bradley University Police Department by calling 309-677-2000 or using one of the emergency blue light phones on and around campus.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well-populated, well-lit area and contact the Bradley University Police Department.
- If approached, give up your property.
A "Community Advisory Alert" is issued via email when serious criminal activity occurs outside of Bradley University Clery Act geography and does not require immediate action by recipients, or when serious criminal activity that does not meet the Campus Safety Alert criteria occurs within the Bradley University Clery Act geography and does not require immediate action by recipients.